- Chemicals: Conventional detergents and dryer sheets are filled with harsh chemicals. A growing number of people have sensitivities to these chemicals. What’s on your clothes transfers to skin, and is absorbed, adding to the body’s load.
- Awareness: There is an increasing concern about the environment and long-term effects of harsh chemicals on people, especially children.
- Cost: Natural doesn’t always mean more expensive. Reusable options like Wool Dryer Balls and Laundry Nuts are less expensive in the long run.
How To Be Green
- Energy Star washers save money by using less power, also reducing carbon output associated with power production.
- Air dry clothes and linens whenever possible. Use detergents that are biodegradable.
- Full loads: Fill your washer 2/3 of the way to ensure an even and efficient wash or dry.
- Using dryer balls in place of dryer sheets eliminates harmful chemicals, and softens fabrics, plus they’re reusable.
- Front loading washers use less water.
- Don’t over dry! Use a dryer that has a sensor, rather than timed dry, and choose fabrics made from natural fibers whenever possible.
- Stain Removal: Sun bleach, Peroxide or Lemon Juice.
What To Look For
- What’s the difference? Are you worried about one issue in particular? There are natural laundry options to cater to every need.
- Biodegradable Detergents reduce exposure of toxic chemicals to the environment and people.
- American made products frequently support local economies and travel shorter distances for a smaller carbon footprint.
- Detergents free from bleach reduce exposure to cancer causing byproducts like dioxin that come from chlorine.
- Petroleum-free products help to reduce fossil fuel dependence and environmental impact.
A Broad Range of Solutions
There are natural laundry detergents that are used in exactly the same way as traditional brands. This is a great way to reduce additives and residue without any work at all. There are also products, like Laundry Nuts, that are completely natural and sustainable, even compostable. Every green step you take is a step in the right direction.